Sunday, January 08, 2006

Adventures in Arthroscopy or The Vicodin Made Me Do It

In honor of my knee surgery tomorrow (for an old injury, quick recovery time, if all goes well it will give me a whole new lease on life), I would like to share a little story with you.

When I was coming home from my mission (the origin of my tricky knee), I was on crutches, and flying home alone. I had a short layover in the huge Chicago airport, and got the wrong directions to my gate. With only five minutes before my plane was to depart, I found myself at the opposite end of the airport. I was panicked - I was in pain, I knew my friends and family were all planning on meeting my plane in Salt Lake, and I had no idea how long I'd have to stay at the airport if I missed my flight. Crutching up to the first official-looking woman I could find, I tearfully explained my situation to her. She glanced at my missionary badge, and told me she'd try to help. She pulled out her walkie-talkie thingy, got ahold of the right boarding gate, and said:

"Hi, I have a crippled nun here, and we need you to hold the plane for her."

Did I correct her? Did I say: "I'm not a nun, I'm a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Would you like to know more about our church?"

No. No, I did not. Because I knew, brothers and sisters, that while they may not hold the plane for a hobbled Mormon missionary, by golly they would hold it for a crippled nun.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

that is so hilarious. after serving a mission, you deserve to use the church to your advantage.

good luck on the surgery!

AzĂșcar said...

Just don't get in the habit of it.






(I'm sorry, really. I embarass myself.)

~j. said...

Bless you, Sister, during your surgery. May peace be with you.

(And also with you, Carina.)

Emmie said...

Thanks for the well wishes, ladies! I'm recuperating nicely. I've determined that Vicodin is of the devil. I'd rather be in pain than swimming in a drug-induced haze. Anyone have a similar experience?

AzĂșcar said...

Yes. I hate painkillers. I'd rather have the pain. Nothing stronger than tylenol or advil for me.

Emily said...

Narcotics during labor and delivery are certainly of the devil. Nothing like being drunk when your child is born.

cotton_in_the_medicine_bottles said...

I guess you really know you're alive when you're feeling pain--although the pain of getting used to nursing is one I could quite do without!