Saturday, February 18, 2006

Up, up, and away



I went flying last night.

Actually, it was early this morning. My sleeping habits are all messed up. After my surgery I stayed up late, and later, and finally so late that late turned to early and now I'm up to watch the sun rise. At dawn, I go to bed. This is going to be rather unhelpful when I return to work next week.

But back to the flying. When I was but a wee lass, I used to pray for the gift of flight. I'd had a few flying dreams, and they were amazing. I'd lift a tentative foot off the ground, then both, and soon I'd be gliding through the air with the greatest of ease, sailing over my house, watching my street grow smaller and smaller, feeling the brush of wispy clouds. In the daylight, I'd jump higher and higher on our trampoline, my arms outstretched, eyes closed, focusing all my thoughts on asking God to grant my wish. My dramatic nature manifested early.

Ultimately, I gave up on my prayers for flight, and more practical prayers ("please bless that I'll get a good grade on this test even though I haven't really studied for it") replaced them. Lately, I'd forgotten all about my flying dreams. Until early this morning, when I feel asleep and flew away.

It was a little harder to get off the ground this time. I was scared, and doubtful. I was worried about my knee. I tried several times, only to come back to earth a few seconds later. But I tried again, and I was aloft. I soared low for a while, skimming over the apartment complex pool, gliding over the sidewalk. And then, slowly, I began to ascend, and soon I was looking down on the California mountains, shivering in the rushing air. I spun, I dipped, I slowed and hovered. Peaceful and light, I looked down on the world below.

Have you ever gone flying at 6am? If not, I highly recommend it.

4 comments:

Layt said...

Flying dreams rox0rz; I just wish I had 'em as often as I used to.

Some timely Olympic spirit: http://www.rocketman.org/video/olympics-01.mpg

Emily said...

I've never dreamed of flying, or prayed to be able to, but my husband has had an obsession with it since youth. He's pretty sure he'll be able to after his resurrection. The yearning must be a trait common in artistic souls. I'm a little envious.

AzĂșcar said...

The only time I have ever flown in dreams is to get away from the horrible things chasing me. Even then, it's just a few feet off the ground, never the soaring you've experienced.

My mother-in-law, however, is very unhappy that we still do not have personal jet packs for everyday use.

c jane said...

I have gone flying before...
but I have since repented.