Friday, June 02, 2006

Misanthrope Redux

Today Mr. Balcony walked by the pool gate.

What you may not know is that I was in the pool at the time, swimming straight at him, unable to change course before:

"Hey there!"

"Hi."


This exchange was followed by several seconds of silence during which he stared through the gate, and I attempted to swim in the opposite direction in a casual it's-nothing-personal-I'm-just-swimming-away-
from-you-because-it-happens-to-be-the-next-part-of-my-exercise-routine sort of way.

Before I could get too far, he said:

"So, is it cold in there, or what?"

I weighed my response options. (Can you see my dilemma?) And decided on the path of least resistance:

"It's not that cold."


"What?? You're kidding me. You must be freezing your butt off in there! You're crazy to swim in that cold water!"

Did I:

A) Reply: "Oh, I'm crazy, all right - crazy like a FOX!"

B) Jump out of the pool, grab him, throw him into the pool, and yell: "See! It's not THAT cold!"

C) Whisper to a nearby bunny: "Yup. I'm the crazy one."


Hint: Bunnies are good listeners.

6 comments:

julie said...

You make me laugh. Thank you.

I wish the correct answer would have been B.

Kiki said...

D) Do a very splashy flip turn that splashes him so that you can 1) let him know that the water isn't that cold and 2) so you can get some satisfaction out of getting him unnecessarily wet.

AzĂșcar said...

I think you need to affect an accent and pretend you don't understand him. I recommend Czech.

~j. said...

Hahahahahahaha!!!

Geo said...

Get yourself one of those long-range water guns and just blast him next time. Don't talk; shoot!

Emmie said...

Thank you all very much for your recommendations - I will take them under advisement. He won't know what hit him when I splash him, jump out, throw him in, and blast him with a water gun - babbling in Czech all the while!

Awesome.