Saturday, August 19, 2006

A Love Letter



Dear Provo,

It's been a while since I last saw you. It's okay if you didn't notice I was gone - you've had a lot going on these past few months. I'm sorry I missed the June blossoms, the July parades, and the August thunderstorms. I hope you know that I never want to be away from you for long.

Sometimes, you make my heart ache a little. At night, when I read books in my room in the house where I grew up, listening to the train whistle and the crickets and the wind in the trees and the silence, I think about everything we've experienced together. Remember the summer night games of hide-and-go-seek with the neighbor kids? Remember sun-warmed apricots, canyon marshmallow roasts, late-night conversations with best friends, snow on Christmas Eve, and my first kiss? (I know, I know, I should never have dated him, everyone told me he was bad news, but he was SO cute! Remember?)

One of the things I haven't thanked you for lately is your consistency. Every time I go to the grocery store, I see a friend from high school (or their mom), and get an update on their life. I get to see babies I never knew existed! I love that. Thank you.

Thank you, too, for reminding me that 80 degrees is not hot. When it's 80 degrees in California, I get cranky. I shouldn't. I know.

There are a few things I've been meaning to ask you about. For all your consistency, I've noticed you've recently made some changes, and I have to admit they take a little getting used to. I don't know how to feel about the new all-white temple. And what's up with the missionaries? Why do they all look like babies? I used to drive by the MTC and think they were cute. Now I want to protect them and give them motherly advice. And don't tell me I was that young when I went into the MTC. I so was not.

Well, this letter is getting long, and I know you don't have a lot of spare time, so I'll wrap it up. I love you, Provo. Please don't get too busy or change too much. Oh, one thing: do you think you could look into being just a little less dry? I love what you do for my hair, and I know you're a desert and everything, but I've used about a gallon of lotion today, and my skin is still itchy. If it's too much trouble, don't worry about it.

Thank you for everything!

Love,
Emmie

4 comments:

Layt said...

It was in the high 70s today. Ugh. I didn't have to use lotion, at least.

Kiki said...

"thunderstorms"...HA! HAHAHAHAHA! That's really funny! I've heard louder belly rumbles!

I have been nostalgic about Provo lately as well. Shh...don't tell. I really miss being able to sit out and enjoy the evening on my front lawn without fear of being steamed to death by the humid heat. I still look out for the mountains. They're never there. I long for my rides through the canyons and stopping to dip my feet in the creek. I hunger for that turkey/cranberry sauce croissant from Kneaders or the panini, Bombay House, and Beto's. I'm sad that this is another year I won't be attending SLC's Greek Festival and Spanish Fork's other Krishna festival, whichever one is held in September. Llama fest? But I'm glad I got to h out of there! Oh, Provo! How I love and loathe you!

Geo said...

Thanks for reminding me that I'm sitting in the catbird seat! This really is a great place. Never mind peculiar. I like peculiar.

Emmie said...

So nice to see you, Geo!

Carrie,
Mmmm . . . Bombay House . . .