Monday, October 23, 2006

What Might Have Been

I was going to blog about a rather appalling talk I heard in Sacrament meeting last Sunday (the general gist of it being that men need to lie to their wives), but then I decided that I need to just let it go.

Then I was going to blog about how I can't wait to meet my newest niece, and how I sent her a teensy tiny fleece jacket and a little shirt with a lamb on it (and how suddenly Old Navy has super cute baby clothes), but then I realized the person who'd be most interested in that information already knows about it, having given birth to said niece.

Then I was going to blog about how my husband took me to a Massive Attack concert, and how the people behind us passed a joint up and down the row, and how my brother-in-law asked me what I thought of the concert, and the best description I could come up with was "loud." But then I realized that there might be some Massive Attack fans out there whom I don't want to offend, and I didn't want them to get the wrong idea, because I actually did like some of the songs, even though they were really, really loud.

Then I was going to blog about how, in return for going to the Massive Attack concert, my husband offered to listen without prejudice to some of my favorite music, and how I started to compose a cd for him until I realized that there is absolutely no way on this earth he's ever going to like Paul Simon, The Indigo Girls, Irish folk music, or songs from Sweeney Todd, and so I decided to just be grateful that we both like classical music, Moby, and selected hits from the '80s, and not to blog about what a musical geek I am.

Then I was going to blog about how I was doing yoga in the corner of the 24 Hour Fitness exercise room when two girls in tight spandex came in and started dancing, and one of them said "Watch this!" and went leaping into the air, landed awkwardly, and started screaming that she'd torn her ACL, she just knew it, and while her friend ran for some ice, she called her boyfriend on her cell phone and said, sobbing, "I guess being a Laker Girl just wasn't meant to be."

But then I realized that it was 1:57 am, so I decided to go to bed instead of blogging.

10 comments:

This is me said...

My husband and I have the music fight all the time. He wants Rage Against the Machine and I want Dixie Chicks. We have compromised with Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews Band, U2 and whatever my three-year old wants to listen to.

I wish I could have been at the gym to see that girl. Hilarious.

Josh said...

Ah, Emmie. I'm new to your blog, thanks to Eric's comprehensive blog listing, and must say, I find it delightful. You're witty and clever and a delightful read. Keep blogging! (PS. I love that that awesome girl hurt herself.)

Emmie said...

Jooshanoosh! How delightful to see you! Thank you for your very kind comments. (I wish you could have seen the awesome girl - it was so Raven.)

This is me,
U2 is common ground for us, too. (But he hates Dave Matthews Band, and I love them. I keep hoping he'll come around . . .)

~j. said...

Always the glutton for punishment, I kind of want to hear about the sacrament meeting talk.

I think the lakergirl line should be a new tagline.

Queen Scarlett said...

Loved your post... laughed mightily at the wannabe laker girl. She's got the personality to be one... if that's any consolation to her. ...and I second J... what was that talk about? ;-) It's amazing what comes out on the pulpit.

AzĂșcar said...

We also have very limited musical common ground. We can listen to The Cure, Alanis Morissette, Keane, and I think that's about it.

Did you bring earplugs to Massive Attack? I've decided I'm too old and now need to wear ear plugs to all shows from now on (well, from Mates of State/Death Cab on.)

That poor cheerleader--that was the movie moment where her friend will go on to make the squad while they cry tears of joy that the most deserving of them accomplished her dreams. Only they wouldn't say 'accomplished,' that word is way to long.

metamorphose said...

Oh my goodness! Reading Lakergirl story actually makes me want to go to the gym! And hope that some wannabe dancer puts on a similar show while I'm stretching. FUNNY.

Emily said...

This post made me want to go to dinner with you, so we could have an evening of delightful conversation.

Emmie said...

Emily,
I have absolutely no doubt that dinner with you would be delightful!

Emmie said...

J and Scarlett,

About the Sacrament talk: just think of every super sexist thing you've ever heard from the pulpit, throw them in a big blender full of platitudes, and there you have it.