Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Death By Brownie, Anyone?


I went to London on a seven-week study abroad when I was 19. I could tell you about the full-male nudity I saw whilst I was there (Angels In America, anyone?), and that I was so shocked and stunned that I turned to the girl sitting next to me and whispered, "Um - is he, uh, naked?" and the girl (also a young, innocent BYU student) whispered back, "Um - I, uh, I think so." (And now I'm going to get a bunch of people visiting this blog who did a google search for "full-male nudity" and "naked BYU student" and oh they are going to be so disappointed!) Instead, I will tell you about how, after a week in London, my friends and I observed that there were an inordinate amount of men in England named either Barry or Nigel. We were discussing this fact one day as we walked past a phone booth, and, just as my friend paused for breath, we heard the man in the booth say:

"'Allo, Barry? This is Nigel."

I wrote home to tell one of my bestest friends about it, and it has come to pass (for at least the past 10 years), that whenever we call each other, whoever is doing the calling will say: "'Allo, Barry? This is Nigel." in a Cockney accent.

Anyway, today I received an email from Barry ('Allo, Barry!), informing me that my brownie recipe was in the Daily Herald. She told me that Annette Lyon, one of the founders of the Utah Chocolate Show (also a friend)(Annette, not the Chocolate Show)(Although I'm sure that, were I to attend, the Chocolate Show would become a friend as well), shared the recipe as part of an article about the show, and chocolate in general.

In high school, we would eat giant pans of the aforementioned brownies until we were pretty much sick, and then we'd eat some more. If you decide to make THEM, I recommend 3/4 cup cocoa (instead of one cup), and 3-4 Tbs. chocolate drink mix or hot cocoa powder. Eat them for me, my friends, for I now have a wheat allergy, and can no longer indulge as I did during the carefree, gluten-filled days of my youth.

12 comments:

Azúcar said...

Wow, see the things I miss since I decided that reading the Daily Herald is like sticking a fork into my eye?

I want to try these.

Eric D Snider said...

We don't say the name of that newspaper in my house. But those brownies look good.

Emmie said...

If the Daily Herald leaves a bad taste in your mouth, the brownies will get rid of it. I promise.

Meg at night said...

Mmmmmm, yes! I remember those brownies well! I think I will make some tonight, just for old times sake . . . and because I think I need a serious chocolate fix!

Nigel said...

Barry,
I find your gluten allergy to be quite tragic. Not only are your brownies forever memorable but your Christmas Ginger cookies are a highlight of my holiday season--so sad that you don't get to eat them!
So next time I binge on cookies and french bread I will tell myself I'm doing it in your honor and that way I'll feel less guilty about it. (Although I'm sure I'll still have the same carb overload gunkie feeling I always get. Oh, how I miss the good old days of eating with abandon!)

Sam said...

Em,

I was sad that you didn't include the recipe in your blog--I no longer have it, and had a sudden urge to make them to soothe my winter blues (chocoloate is my prozac) as I drooled over that particularily delectable memory. Remember eating a whole pan-full and making resolves?

Azúcar said...

Dear Sam, click on "THEM" in the post to be redirected to the recipe.

I did make the recipe this morning before leaving for work but had to leave before they came out of the oven. What are the chances there will be any left when I get home?

compulsive writer said...

That's yours? I have been making those brownies for years--more or less the same recipe was in our mission cookbook some 20 years ago and it's the only brownie recipe I ever make. They are always a big hit, especially when I add pecans or make some goopy frosting and then smother it in melted marshmellows.

They are divine!

Emmie said...

Compulsive,
My family has been using the recipe for forever, and my friends always referred to them as "Emmie's Brownies", but I'm guessing the recipe is as old as the hills, and my kinsfolk were most likely not the ones who came up with it. Perhaps we shall never know who first invented the divine formula, but it's good to know it's out there, making others' lives more tasty!

Annette Lyon said...

When I sent the recipe to the aforementioned newspaper that gives Eric a bad taste in his mouth, I added fun ways to make it even better--including using hot cocoa mix for part of the cocoa powder, as well as other variations we used to use when we gorged on the brownies in the good old days (which were also the days when I still had a metabolism . . .).

For some reason they didn't include said variations, but I'll add a couple here: instead of vanilla, use mint extract. Add a cup of chocolate chips. And icing them is fun now and then--but messy if you're eating as many brownies as we used to at Emmie's house late at night.

Ahh, the good 'old days . . .

Azúcar said...

I made them and would recommend cooking for no longer than 30 minutes (I left in for the full 35 mins.) Next time I'm going to leave out an egg, and follow emmie's suggestion of 3/4c cocoa because I think I like them more fudgey than cakey.

compulsive writer said...

You inspired me, so I dug out my old recipe, which is similar but leaves out the leavening (thus is very fudgey) and needs more cocoa--my recipe calls for only 1/3 c.--not bad because I use the imported stuff, but I still think I'll double it next time.

New twist. I had just bought some of those French or Belgian (I can't remember!) truffles from Costco, so I sliced up a bunch and stirred them in with the chopped pecans.

Oh baby!