Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Ma Vie en Rose

Yesterday I wore my rose-colored glasses. I bought them a few weeks ago at Target. It's taken me a while to succumb to the giant sunglasses trend: when I first began to notice them, I thought they looked silly; especially when worn by tiny Orange County teenagers - each lens engulfing an entire cheekbone. And my much-smaller lenses (purchased for $5.00 in 2002) were entirely functional, if not fashionable. But a few weeks ago, while shopping for Christmas presents at Target, I suddenly became aware that my eyes were tired and teary from driving around in the blindingly bright Southern California December sun (because I always forget my functional-not-fashionable sunglasses), and I decided the time for gigantic lenses was finally at hand. It took me less than 30 seconds to pick out the rose-colored beauties; I don't think I even came to a complete stop at the spinning sunglasses rack. There they were, directly in front of me, for $9.99. I placed them in my basket with nary a second glance - impulse purchasing at its quickest. When I got to my car, I put them on, and you know something? The world really does look better through rose-colored glasses. The trees were lightly tinged with pink, and the brown and beige terra cotta buildings took on a warm glow. I watched an airplane shimmer through a rose petal sky, and the clouds were pale cotton candy. When I got home, I didn't want to take my glasses off.

Sometimes a trip to Target and $9.99 can help you see the world in an entirely different light.

5 comments:

Jannah said...

You know what is even rosier? Last year I bought my rose colored specs at Target for $1.99, and while I am sure they are not as stylish as yours, they really did make me happy. Then tragedy, in the form of my 3 year old happened, she broke them, and now they make her happy, because even with a layer of scotch tape holding them together, the world is pink and pretty!
Actually, a happy child makes the world better too, thanks Target!

AzĂșcar said...

I had this whole big comment thought out on how Target is its own galaxy because it's got this backhole at the center that just attracts me and then spits me out (holla from my physics fiends.) The analogy got really complicated and ridiculous so let me just say:

I love Target, it makes me happy.

Emmie said...

Jannah,
I think $1.99 should be the new $9.99. Also, I miss you!

Azucar,
I'm impressed by your analogy, even though you didn't type it out.

Target makes me happy, too.

compulsive writer said...

Love Love LOVE this post!

I love that you need sunglasses in December, too.

And of course I loved Target till my last visit there when the surly guy in the electronics department failed to render proper customer service. Maybe if I'd have had your rose-colored glasses on I wouldn't have been so bugged!

Irina Sergeyevna said...

Okay, Emmie, so this is really late to respond to this post, but catching up on this New Year has been a little ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm intrigued by this whole Rose colored glasses thing, but I'm still raving about my favorite new sunglasses; and I've been so anxious to share the delight with someone.

I'm not actually sure you could call them sunglasses. They are the kind that you can put over eyeglasses (spent $300 on new eyeglasses, and gotta be able to actually take them somewhere), that block out 100% UV rays, and that make you look like Wille Wonka. Oh how I love them! I still don't have the guts to where them outside of the car, but I hesitate to take them off when I'm wearing them (with or without the spectacles), because they block the sun so thoroughly. Alas, no rose tint to liven up the environment...

Love your blog as always! I need to get back to mine, assuming my loved ones have google accounts and are willing to log in since I upgraded!! Oops!

Cuddles to you!!