Sunday, February 11, 2007

Call Me Letisha

Last week I received a voicemail from a person whose voice and telephone number I didn't recognize. He sounded a little like Barry White. This is what he said:

"Hey, baby. Been thinkin' about you. Wish would call me. You know I would treat you right, Letisha. Call me, baby."

Hmmm, I thought. Too bad my name's not Letisha. If it were, I know he would treat me right.

A few nights later, I got another message from the same man:

"It's me, Letisha. And your phone is off the hook or somethin'. So call me, baby. I'm still up."

Hmmm, I thought. Too bad my name's not Letisha. If it were, I totally would have called him, 'cause I was still up, too.

This morning, while I was getting ready for church, my cell phone rang. I recognized the number. It was him. I answered:

"Hi, this is Emmelyn."

"Letisha?"

"No, this is Emmelyn. You've been dialing the wrong number."

"This isn't Letisha?"

Pause.

"No. This is not Letisha. This is Emmelyn. On my voicemail, it says Emmelyn. Please stop calling this number."

"Oh. I was looking for Letisha. Sorry."

He hasn't called back. So Letisha, if you're out there: Call him. He's probably still up. And he will treat you right.

6 comments:

AzĂșcar said...

I'm changing my name and moving to the OC.

Jannah said...

Emmie mentioned that no one was posting comments to this entry, I know why i didn't but was curious about others, would you say that you were...

A) offended by the obvious sensual meaning behind the potent words "treat you right"

B)Intimidated because the story itself is too funny and you don't want to post a comment that would in anyway cheapen it.

or

C)too busy pretending to be Letisha so your man WOULD treat you right.

-I'm just curious

Kiki said...

I think you should have drawn out the conversation and made a new friend. Then, you could have hired him out to send your girlfriends voicemail-o-grams for their birfday. I think 5 bucks/call sounds reasonable.

Josh said...

Emmie - I posted an response to this entry, but then something happend with the word verification and it didn't post and then I was too exhausted to re-post. But here goes:

The person who used to have me cell phone number was, oddly, also named Josh. (Shouldn't they check that before handing out recycled numbers?) Over the years, I have gotten VMs from my Grandpa, just calling to say "Hi!" (My Grandpa's are both dead," Messages from my Aunt Cindy letting me know that Judy finally had her baby girl, and text messages from my best friends, P-Swiss and Smitty. What amazes me is that none of these people have spoken with the other Josh and put together that they are calling the wrong number. Don't they wonder about why he never gets there messages. And doesn't he wonder why P-Swiss isn't text messaging him anymore?

Emily said...

I just read this for the first time, but if I had already read it, and if I had not commented, it would definitely have been because it was too funny that my comment wouldn't measure up. I'm glad you asked.

Emmie said...

Josh,
Words cannot express how much I loved your story.