Thursday, May 24, 2007

La Beauté de Jeudi

Today, a long and frustrating and super stressful day at work culminated in a phone call during which I was yelled at repeatedly by a VERY angry man. My boss (to whom I usually give the very angry calls) is out of town, and had turned off his cell phone, but not before stating that he had "complete confidence" in my "ability" to "handle anything" that's "thrown" at me. I don't "really care" if he "does or not", and would "really prefer" that he just "keep his cell phone on" so that I don't "throw myself out the window."

Just as I was about to hit send on an email that would (I hope) address most of the angry man's concerns, my internet went down. For two hours. Needless to say, the angry man only got more angry.

It was during this time that I noticed I had a voicemail on my cell phone. My sister had called, and I could hear my 3-year-old nephew in the background, demanding:

"Want to talk to Emmie NOW please!"

So I did the only logical thing. I called back the angry man, told him that being angry wasn't going to get him his answers any faster, and that I was tired of being yelled at, and I was doing the best I could, and I would talk to him tomorrow. And then I went home, and called my sister on iChat so that I could play Peek-A-Boo with my nephew. (I cover the camera lens and he counts, and then I take my hand away quick and say "Boo!" and he thinks it's the funniest thing on earth.)

I also sang him his favorite songs, and I got to see his little sister, which brings me to today's Beauty:

Behold the naturally curly eyelashes of my 6-month-old niece:





A few blinks of those lashes were all it took to make the angry man a distant memory.

2 comments:

blondie's sis said...

I'm delighted you've declared the next four weeks the Month of Beauty. The timing seems perfect for those of us in Utah because May and June include some of the rare green weeks. Much later and the hills turn to straw--although the straw has its own form of beauty, I suppose, as long as young boys with fireworks are kept away.

These baby-niece eyes are the perfect Beauty for melting away a day of stress. I look forward to reading your frequent posts this month.

Emmie said...

Hi Blondie's Sis!
How lovely to see you! I must admit that I miss the beauty of Utah in the spring. You feel that you've really earned it after the winter, you know?