Saturday, May 26, 2007

WE INTERRUPT THIS DAY OF BEAUTY TO BRING YOU THE FOLLOWING ANNOUNCEMENT:

At approximately 11:27am, a pipe burst in the ceiling of the apartment of Emmie. As a result, the following has occurred:

1) An entire section of ceiling was soaked through, and will have to be replaced.
2) Half the carpet had to be ripped up, baseboards removed, and holes drilled through the bottoms of the walls to prevent mold.
3) Two giant fans and two dehumidifiers must run 24 hours a day for the next three days in order to prevent moisture and eventual mold damage. The fans are blowing underneath the carpet, so it's sort of like walking in a funhouse. Except without the fun.
4) The fans and dehumidifiers are very loud.
5) We are going to stay at my husband's parents' house.

His parents are in Italy right now, which brings me to today's Beauty:



I didn't take the picture above, but I was there once, and I definitely wish I was there now.

On days like today, you have to remember beauty.

7 comments:

skanky chris said...

Wow. I am so sorry. That kind of makes me appreciate the cranky daughter recovering from tonsil surgery, the son with pinkeye and the mini van with a flat tire that I'm dealing with today. But only kind of.

I think this is a sign that you guys should move closer to me.

AzĂșcar said...

I'm with Chris, it seems like you should move.

Although isn't the waving carpet just a little awesome?

Emmie said...

It's totally a sign that we should move to Utah!

Chris,
I think that pinkeye/cranky recovering daughter/flat tire definitely trumps leaky ceiling/carpet replacement, and I hope everything has gotten better for you in the past 48 hours.

Azucar,
The waving carpet is kind of fun to walk around on. Especially now that we're staying with S's parents, and we only have to walk around on said carpet for a few minutes a day (when we are emptying the dehumidifiers - good times!)

skanky chris said...

Tell your husband not to make an S of himself.

compulsive writer said...

So sorry--but glad you have a place to land while your home is drying out.

Emily said...

Ugh. I am so sorry.

Doesn't Venice seem like an odd place to want to be when what you lack is dryness? It's like how the gov didn't understand why there weren't takers for Katrina victims to go live on a cruise ship for a few months after their homes were overtaken by water.

Emmie said...

Compulsive,
Thanks! We're very glad, too.

Emily,
You make an excellent point.