Saturday, June 02, 2007

Globe Beauty



I apologize for the lack of Beauty over the past two days. On Friday, I took off for San Diego right after work, and didn't get back until 4:00 this morning. I made the drive down to see one of my good friends. She and I went to grad school together, and she has returned to the Old Globe to do a show. She is brilliant in it. Truly. I was beaming proud of her. I hadn't seen her in 3 years, so it was wonderful to see her face and sit together late into the night catching up and laughing about crazy stuff that happened during our MFA years together.

While I was waiting for her after the show, I stood looking up at the bell tower in the courtyard outside the theatre. I remembered the feeling of performing on the outdoor stage at night, the cool dampness in the air as the dew settled into the park, looking up past the audience to the illuminated tower and the tiled dome of the Museum of Man, both framed by giant trees.

The Spanish architecture in Balboa Park is amazing by day, and other-worldly at night. I stood under the bell tower, breathed in the dew, and felt overwhelmingly grateful for the opportunity I had to be an actor surrounded by all that Beauty.


Museum of Man Dome and Bell Tower








Me in Pericles, Outdoor Festival Stage, 2002

1 comment:

Annette Lyon said...

Em, You in Pericles--now THAT'S beauty.