Friday, July 27, 2007

Ella

Many thanks for the sympathetic and delightful comments on my last post!  I apologize for not responding to each commenter individually.  (Cotton, your comment was particularly fantastic, and you pose a very good question: why can't it ever be Hugh Jackman in a speedo?  Why must it always be strange hotel-dwelling men in g-strings?  And Emily - getting hit on at a ward pool function?  Yipes!)  

The reason for my up until now non-responsiveness is thus: I believe I may be on the brink of carpal tunnel.  Or tendonitis.  Or some kind of overuse injury of the arm, wrist, and hand variety.  As many of you know, this is nothing new: I had all sorts of problems with these ailments as a young lass, but have been blessed with a reprieve for a few years now.  I don't think there's any cause for alarm, but I have decided to play it safe and back off the whole typing thing for a bit.  I'm already suffering withdrawal (which may be why I'm still typing . . .)

Before I take what I hope will only be a few weeks' leave, I'd like to share one last special thing with you.  Whilst aimlessly flipping through channels a few days ago, I came upon a music video for a song called Under My Umbrella.  This song is sung by someone named Rihanna.  I didn't know anything about Rihanna before I saw the video, but I learned a lot in the few minutes I spent with her.  I now know that Rihanna is a singer with asymmetric hair who likes to wear fingerless leather gloves and dance around in various extremely skimpy outfits singing songs with lyrics such as:

"You're part of my entity
Here for infinity"

and 

"When the war has took its part
When the world has dealt its cards
If the hand is hard
Together we'll mend your heart."

And a chorus that goes like this: 

"When the sun shines, we'll shine together
Told you I'll be here forever
Said I'll always be a friend
Took an oath I'ma stick it out till the end
Now that it's raining more than ever
Know that we'll still have each other
You can stand under my umbrella
You can stand under my umbrella
Under my umbrella
(Ella ella)
Under my umbrella
(Ella ella)
Under my umbrella
(Ella ella)"

Once this chorus got stuck in my head, I couldn't get it out.  For DAYS.  And so, of course, I did the only logical thing: I found the video on youtube and made my husband listen to it so that the chorus would be stuck in his head, too.  

And so it was that, for a while, we both wandered around the apartment singing "Under my umbrella, ella, ella, ella . . ."  Then, yesterday, as Steve and I were doing the dishes together, I heard him quietly sing the following lyrics:

"And I hope you don't catch rubella
Under my umbrella."

"Um, babe, did you just sing something about rubella?"

Since then, we've come up with some other alternate chorus lyrics, such as:

"And I hope I never poison you with salmonella
If I do I'll give you sasparilla  
Under my umbrella"

Okay, I really have to stop now.  Did I just tell you I have carpal tunnel, and then proceed to write the longest, most random post ever, even though my fingers are going numb?  I believe I did.  And so, if you'll excuse me, I have to go ice my wrists.  And sing a cappella.  And watch a movie starring Frank Langella. 

(Under my umbrella.) 

10 comments:

Annette Lyon said...

I'm half tempted to find that song and hear it, but then I don't dare, or I'll be the one sorting socks and underwear with "ella, ella, ella" in my head.

Ask Tristi for her carpal tunnel cure--flax seed oil--but I don't remember how much or when. I have a couple of friends who swear by it.

Azúcar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Azúcar said...

I don't what it is about that song but it's frakking cat nip. I just can't get enough.

Kiki and I have been obsessed for days, I even have a great cover version. I'm cycling through three mixes of that song (and if Postal Service does a remix I might as well off myself because how can life top that?)

ella, ella, eh, eh, eh, under my umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh.

J hates this song. He's always raining on my parade. He doesn't have an umbrella.

Heehee.

Azúcar said...

p.s. I already know that this is one of those songs I'm going to regret liking, much like anything by the Gin Blossoms and Marci Playground's Sex and Candy.

wendysue said...

funny I didn't know anything about a song about an umbrella, but as soon as you typed ella, ella, ella. . .I knew exactly which song it was! Please say I'm not becoming an old person who says. . ."I can't even understand what they're saying!!"

Meg at night said...

Em,

I am so sad to hear of the return of your hand, wrist, arm ailment. I remember well the old days of long hand massages and bottles of ibuprofen. I hope this time it is only here to stay for a short while. My thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy reprieve! In the meantime, I guess I will have to re-read your past blogs to get my fill of Em! Don't stay away too long! °Ü°

kiki said...

Emmie, do you not also know the joys of her song S.O.S.? Rihanna is addictive.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Well, whaddya know -- here I was all set to post and then I saw that Annette introduced me. :)

I used to have carpal tunnel really badly. I started taking flax seed oil every day, along with vitamin B complex, and now I don't have it at all. You take several a day to start, and then taper back. I also use an ergonomic keyboard which has literally saved me. Pop me a note if you have any questions -- I do not sell any of the above listed items. :)

Emily said...

Hi.

Emmie said...

Hello my friends! I'm still here. Thank you, Tristi and Annette, for your suggestions, Meg for your good wishes, Kiki and Zuc for the musical contributions, and Wendysue and Emily for stopping by to say hello!