Sunday, November 04, 2007

That Was Halloween

Steve and I threw a little Halloween party at our apartment last Wednesday. Even though we invited only 4 guests, I still took an entire day to prepare for it.  (I'm kind of an overachiever.)  (Also, I'm kind of crazy.)

On the menu: Cream of Broccoli and Chicken Tortilla soup (two separate soups, not one combined soup), homemade caramel (into which we dipped green apple slices), and this chocolate cake (with Mint Milano headstones):



And, although I'm not really one for fake blood and the other, grosser elements of Halloween, I decided that I couldn't resist making this cream cheese and salsa appetizer:



Isn't it gross? The fingernails are slivered almonds. My guests were actually kind of put off by it (I think it was the fingernails), but it was truly quite delicious.

Other activities included eating lots of tootsie rolls and mini peppermint patties (we didn't have a single trick-or-treater, so somebody had to eat all the candy I bought), and watching The Corpse Bride.

It was a really fun party, if I do say so myself. (And I do.)

And if you lived nearby, I totally would have invited you. (Would you have eaten the cream cheese hand?)

11 comments:

rebrob said...

I would have devoured that hand--it looks delicious! That party sounds like it was so much fun. Your menu sounds so tasty and I loved your pics. I wanna come next Halloween! But I will only come if you make me my very OWN hand-cream-cheese-and-blood appetizer. (There's a bright yellow house on the sta-a-age...)

AzĂșcar said...

I would have covered my eyes and taken a bite.

But GROSS...

Meg at night said...

Em, I TOTALLY would have eaten the cream cheese hand! Because I love both cream cheese and salsa so much, I could have overlooked the gruesome layout of the two.

Glad you had a fun party. Reminded me of the "good ol' days" when we had parties for just about any occasion. Do you still celebrate Murphy's Day???

Emily said...

love the tombstone cake. And yes, definitely yes, i would have eaten the cream cheese and salsa. Mmmm!

Dianna G. said...

Interestingly enough, cream cheese is one my staples these days (on plain toasted bagels, that is - it's the mild flavor protein thing). I'd have been uncomfortable with the mix of the two, because pregnancy sickness makes you weird about mixing things, but I'd have enjoyed the arrangement and would definitely have eaten the cream cheese.

What a delightful way to celebrate the evening! And, my dear overacheiver, you are a girl after my own heart. I felt truly dismal to be too ill to have the family Halloween gathering with Halloween shaped jello-jigglers and homemade pizza (not pumkin shaped, however, to much achievement for my taste). You are special!

Uh oh, my Pandora New Age station suddenly started playing High School musical...we have a crisis here!

compulsive writer said...

In a heartbeat.

Emmie said...

You are all officially invited to my party next year. (If you can't come, I will mail you a cream cheese hand.)

Jannah said...

I would have cut the fingers off, one by dripping one, and eaten them with relish...I mean salsa, but only if the hand was created using a mold, if you actually spent any more than 30 minutes making this thing you are hereby too scary for me to be around, what's next Em, a turkey platter with cold cuts and cheese making an actual turkey? angel ice sculptures with 3 foot wings?
Don't mind me, I'm bitter cuz I'm too pregnant to do anything creative.
luv ya

Tristi Pinkston said...

I totally would have eaten the cream cheese hand. I think it's great!

Annette Lyon said...

It's yummy food. Who care's what it's shaped like?

By the way . . . TAG!

Emily said...

I would love to come to your party next year. Move to Utah??