Saturday, December 29, 2007

Flibbity Flu (and Happy New Year To You)

Dear Friends,

How was your Christmas? Ours was fantastic, until we came down with the flu. Last night, my husband - who is NEVER cold (and often wants to crank up the air conditioner when I'm already wearing multiple sweaters) - put on a turtleneck, fleece sweatpants, thick socks, and a winter coat, wrapped himself in a huge down comforter, and lay shivering on the couch. Periodically, I would hear a weak, muffled word coming from the couch mound:

"Warm . . . Warm . . ."

When we both realized last night that we'd had nothing to eat for 12 hours, the only thing that sounded remotely appealing to either of us was french fries. (Do I have to tell you that french fries turned out to be a bad idea?) So we dragged ourselves to the car, and drove to Del Taco at midnight. Steve managed to look presentable, but I, for the record, was wearing:

Pink pajama pants (with a snowflake pattern)
An old grey thermal underwear top
An old black coat
A huge, multi-colored scarf my friend made for me 6 years ago
Blue sneakers
No makeup
Glasses

Would it surprise you to hear that I was not the most strangely dressed person at Del Taco at midnight? And that Steve ordered a strawberry shake?

Anyway, in less than 24 hours we have to board a plane for a five-hour flight. Here's a little quiz for you:

Which is worse:

A. Chills, fever and headache on a 5-hour flight
B. Intestinal distress on a 5-hour flight
C. Both A and B
D. A poke in the eye with a sharp stick
E. D could never happen, because they don't allow sharp sticks on planes

I'm sure we'll survive (somehow), but it might not be pretty. However, at the end of the flight, we'll be in Hawaii, so the outcome will be great, even if the journey is not.

Anyway, I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, and I promise to post more frequent blog entries in 2008! (But should I? Have you come to rely on my unreliableness? Do you find my flakiness to be quirky and somewhat endearing?)(Never mind - don't answer that.)

Happy New Year!

~Emmie

5 comments:

TnD said...

I think I have seen you in that outfit before. Have a great vacation and I hope you have kicked your bug.

Meg at night said...

Hawaii??? That should cure all that ails ya! If not, try some warm honey, lemon tea. Hope you feel better soon!

rebrob said...

Sorry 'bout your flu. Not many seem to be escaping it this year. But I'm super happy you get to be in Hawaii! I hope you guys have fun and get over your flu there. BTW, can I borrow your pink, snowflake print pajama pants for my midnight errands? 'Cause I have been wearing my green plaid ones and they're gettin' old.

Annette Lyon said...

Is it horrible of me to be laughing?

It's nice to know, though, that I'm not the only one who goes out wearing pajamas.

Geo said...

That outfit's going to get you a lot of new friends in Hawaii. Guaranteed.