Sunday, January 13, 2008

Mahalo for your Kokua

Have you ever been off-roading in a jeep on the isle of Kauai? I haven't, because I'm too much of a wimp. However, my husband, brothers-in-law, and sister-in-law are very much not wimps, and they now have fond memories of:

bouncing along this trail:



this incredible view:



And changing this blown-out tire:


(By all accounts, the tire was changed in a very professional, timely, and orderly manner.)


Although I was not brave enough to participate in the off-roading adventure, I did participate in many delightful activities, such as:

Making a trip to sample what is reputed to be the best shave ice on the island (it was quite delicious):






(Please take a moment to appreciate Steve's Giant Hawaii Hair™)


Reading lots of books while enjoying the view from our condo:




Watching amazing sunsets:




Dinner at Roy's (one of the best meals I've EVER had):


(That gleam in my eye is from contemplating filet mignon with truffle and leek sauce)




A muddy and very fun hike to see a beautiful river and waterfall:




Snorkeling in the clear water and saying hello to the brightly-colored friendly fish:


(Photo courtesy of my bro and sis-in-law's super cool underwater camera)

And playing on the beach with my adorable nieces (I was having too much fun to take pictures).

This trip was a perfect way to start 2008 - a year in which I hope to accomplish many things (so many, in fact, that it makes me tired just thinking about it)(but in an excited kind of way).

One of my New Year's resolutions is to post a new blog entry every Sunday night. Stay tuned to find out how amazingly consistent I can be! (Or not.)

12 comments:

Adam, Tracy & Kaelin said...

Hey! I am looking forward to your blog postings every sunday. And yes I am so jealous of your trip to kauai. that is my absolute fave place ever!!!!

AzĂșcar said...

I'm only jealous of Steve's hair.

We're sorry we didn't spend more time with you guys, I think I lost my mind over Christmas trying to get everything together. I missed the chance to hang out with all of you and we are sorry about that. Same time next year?

Emily said...

I'm jealous of kids with you in Hawaii. I missed ours and would love to take them there. I've been waiting for this report of yours and hope there was no spewing on that dreadful flight to the 50th state. Looking forward to next Sunday night.

Sarah said...

I am so jealous of a trip to warmer weather!
We're hoping to take a trip to Hawaii in the spring. You'll have to give me the low down on the best places to go.

By the way, did you know our husbands are now email buddies?
Be afraid. . .be very afraid

Dianna G. said...

I'm so glad that you had such a lovely trip, and that you plan to keep feeding our Downstage Left addictions. I'll continue to prowl.

Emmie said...

Tracy,
Hey you! I love your blog! Kaelin is SO CUTE!

AzĂșcar,
Definitely same time next year, and maybe before that! (Christmas was totally crazy for us, too, and I completely understand. Plus we had strep throat at our house, and that's a Christmas gift I'm glad we didn't give you.)

Emily,
Luckily there was no vomiting at 37,000 feet, and our illness was quickly cured once we set foot on Hawaiian soil. (By the way, have I mentioned how lovely it was to meet you and your charming husband?)

Sarah,
It's kind of sweet that our husbands are now email buddies, and also kind of terrifying. Do you think they are secretly building a plane together? (It seems like it would be impossible, but where there's a will, there's a way . . .)

Dianna,
You are my favorite prowler, you know. (And I loved your Christmas newsletter!)

samiam said...

Wow-buried in snow here and fending off seasonal depression, Hawaii sounds like paradise! I've heard Kauai is the most beautiful of all the islands (from my brother and also I think Elvis said it in one of his most deeply felt flicks--Blue Hawaii--or maybe he sang a song about it being the Island of Love--I'm not quite sure. I think you were pretty adventurous with the hikes, snorkling and allowing Steve to experiment with big hair (because you have to look at it--he doesn't!) I'm glad you were feeling better and look forward to reading about this highly productive year!

Emmie said...

Dear Sam,

You really should take the advice of Elvis and go to Kauai!

P.S. Can you believe it's been a year since you and Blondie came to visit me?

Jannah (Ferguson) Au said...

I echo all the previous posts and offer that if one Sunday you find yourself without material to write, simply post a picture of Steve's hair that day!

Anonymous said...

Steve's hair could look worse!

Annette Lyon said...

Sounds like a dream trip. Gorgeous photos!

And I swear, lady, you get prettier every year. No fair.

~j. said...

I'm glad to see that not every dish on The Islands includes spam, as I had been previously told.