Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Metaphors (Mixed Up)

Today, at work, I spent far too much time on the phone with an extremely frustrating salesperson. The kind of salesperson who doesn't listen to you, who assumes they know what you're talking about (they don't), who is impatient (very) and snippy (extremely), and who can't spell your name correctly, even though you repeat the spelling several times (5, to be exact). After the 5th spelling of my name (by me), and the subsequent misspelling (by her), I had to work very hard to suppress the small scream that threatened to escape my lips. When the phone call finally (mercifully) ended, my co-worker (who had overheard the conversation), said:

"Wow, that sounded painful."

To which I replied:

"Yeah. She wasn't the shiniest knife in the drawer."

Then, breathing a huge sigh, I went back to my work. Until the voice of my co-worker broke my concentration:

"Uh, I think it's sharpest knife in the drawer."

"Wait - what?"

"Sharpest knife."

"What did I say?"

"You said shiniest."

"I did?"

"Yeah."

"Shiniest?"

"Yeah."

"Oh."

I guess I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, either.

(Or the shiniest.)

7 comments:

Reb said...

Emmie, your name is spelled: E-m-m-i-e, ok?

Blondie said...

How about a knife that is "as sharp as something that is dull"? (Emmie, age 16)

Dianna G. said...

I personally believe in the practice of inventing new metaphors, so I like your shiny knife reference. Shininess is important for knives and stuff...

Jannah (Ferguson) Au said...

Actually I think if you check with FCW you are the shiniest! I like you that way

Annette Lyon said...

I like your version better anyway.

c jane said...

Same difference.

Thayerclan said...

Well you DO have really shiny hair so it's only natural that that word would pop into your head....