Monday, March 17, 2008

When You Wish Upon A Star

Last Friday night, Steve and I, armed with the yearly passes Steve's dad won in a raffle and subsequently gave to us out of the goodness of his heart, decided to brave Disneyland.

We might never do that again.

Oh, the humanity. Disneyland was packed tighter than the LA freeway at rush hour. In addition to the five billion teenagers roaming the park with their hormones a-blazin' (we always seem to get stuck in line behind two sixteen-year-olds who can't keep their hands off each other), there were a ridiculous amount of children being dragged around by their parents.

Dear Parents Who Keep Their Young Children at Disneyland Past 9:00pm,

Please stop yelling at your crying three-year-old. Of COURSE he is crying. He is exhausted. Take your poor kid home. Or I am going to start yelling at YOU.

Anyway, after shoving our way through the teeming masses to get to the Haunted Mansion, we decided to venture over to California Adventure, wishing upon a star that it would be less crowded there. Our wish was granted, and we were able to enjoy a few rides, including:

The Tower of Terror. Have you gone on this ride? It basically takes you to the top of a very tall building, and drops you. And then drops you again. And again. I love it. After the ride, Steve took his customary picture of the picture they take of you during the ride. Why purchase the pic when your husband can take a picture of it with his trusty Blackberry?



Can you spot us? I'm back row center, and Steve's face is pretty much obscured by an enthusiastic hand. Everyone looks like they're having a good time except for that woman clinging to her husband on the front right. (She was screaming before the ride even started.)

Next, we rode the roller coaster. I think it might be my favorite ride in the whole park. We always wait a few extra minutes so we can ride in the very front. It was pretty windy that night, as you can tell from my facial expression:



I like how the guy behind Steve is so blasé about the whole thing.

After California Adventure closed, we decided to head back into Disneyland to see if it had cleared out a bit. It hadn't, but I opted to stand in line for Autopia anyway because I have nephews visiting next month, and wanted to send them pictures of the cool cars they'll be able to drive when we all go to Disneyland together. As we drove around the track, Steve made some valiant photo attempts:





Look, nephews! When you come to Disneyland, it will be dark! And your aunt will have glowing red eyes! And you can do something vague and indistinguishable!

Having breathed in diesel fumes while clutching a sticky steering wheel (why was it sticky??), we decided to call it a night. On our way out of the park, Steve stopped at one of his favorite places:



He's trying not to eat sweets around me because of my present food restrictions, so he didn't get his usual giant ice cream cone filled with mint chocolate chip. I told him he should, but he valiantly refused. Obviously, as you can tell from the photo, the sacrifice was not a big deal at all.

On the way back to the car, we walked hand in hand through Downtown Disney, and stopped to watch a man who was playing the electric violin. He was dressed all in black, and had swoopy hair, and he was going to town on his interpretation of Music of the Night. I have never heard so many flourishes, unnecessary scales, and key changes in one piece of music. We tried to wait out the piece so that I could ask him about the instrument (I've never seen a real live electric violin), but Music of the Night turned into Think of Me, which turned into a version of All I Ask of You that was swoopier than his hair, and we couldn't really take it anymore, so we decided that I could ask Google about the electric violin when we got home, and we left the man to his schmaltziness.

All in all, and despite the teeming masses, it was an enjoyable Friday night, and I told my young women at church about it yesterday. When I got to the part about the swoopy violinist, the YW President said:

"I was in Downtown Disney with my dad on Friday night, and he bought that guy's CD! He loves that kind of stuff!"

I thought back to the song Jiminy Cricket was singing as we left the park that night. And I realized he was right: Anything your heart desires really will come to you.

11 comments:

Josh said...

Emmie -

Disneyland is all about the timing. We go every year in January (right after President's day weekend) and have a blast. Sure the parks close at 7pm, but we have little kids, so why do we care?

However, in my old age, I find I enjoy California Adventure a little bit more. It's more open, the lines are shorter, and I can get a Diet Coke Float on Paradise Pier.

Annette Lyon said...

What a riot of a post! You paint the picture so well.

And see, the solution to the kid thing is to bring grandma and grandpa along. Then when the kids AND the grandparents are wasted, they all go back to the hotel together. The kids get tended while while Mom & Dad hang out at Indiana Jones and Splash Mountain.

Reb said...

Emmie, you never disappoint. This post is hilarious. I especially liked the description of the picture to your nephews about doing something "vague and indistinguishable." So funny. Thanks for sharing your adventures.

joelandnatalie said...

I've never been to Disneyland, but I can vouch for the fact that the local Wal-Mart is always packed with screaming kids at 9:00 p.m. WHY do parents think that is okay? It annoys me, as I have left my children safely tucked into bed TWO HOURS previously. So, I try not to frequent any store at that time. Instead, I get up early to hit it before anyone's extra-tired kids wake up. Since my kids wake up at 6:30 no matter what time they go to bed (honestly, they once did that after going to bed at the ridiculous time of 8:30!), we really can hit the stores early.

Azúcar said...

Nothing like a medley.

Blondie said...

How delightful that you went to Disneyland!
It makes perfect sense. After all, Steve is the biggest kid I know.

Emmie said...

Josh,
I'm finding that I like CA Adventure a bit more in my old age as well. And what is this Diet Coke Float you speak of? I'm definitely going to have to look into that.

Azúcar,
Seriously. Especially a Phantom of the Opera medley. Such a rarity.

c jane said...

Take a picture of the picture! Steve is a genius.

TnD said...

Got to love the teeming masses, when you are yearning to be free.

Adam, Tracy & Kaelin said...

I used to be one of those raging teens you stood behind while in line. That was back in the day though. Now it's just Kaelin and I, coming at 12, leaving at 3. It's our "Park Day" almost Every Thursday.

Where do you get all those fancy words from? Do you have a special dictionary? For example:
schmaltziness

Dianna said...

Yet another delightful post!! I can't decide which photo is my favorite - you doing something indistinguishable with red eyes or Steve being restrained over the ice cream. It's really a toss-up!

And your commentary on the violinist makes me very happy. Did he sweat a lot whilst he bowed? It seems that swoopy hair and overdone flourishes tend to go with lots of sweat. Of course, we are talking about Lord Webber here... Such music almost begs to be overdone.