Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fallish

I always seem to fall ill in the fall. Almost every autumn I can remember - from the glorious October I spent walking the tree-lined streets of Montreal, wading through maple leaves as big as dinner plates, to the brisk, windy Manhattan evenings in November, to the long days in Provo where the delicious scent of wood smoke fills the air and all seems right with the world - almost all of those autumns were accompanied by sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, and a big thermos of lemon tea with honey that accompanied me to many a play rehearsal. (Did I just write the longest sentence you've ever read in your life?)

I always seemed to find myself in a play in autumn, and I almost always managed to get sick during the run of the show. That is, until I entered grad school, where I stayed miraculously sniffle-free, despite the fact that I was more stressed out and sleep-deprived than I'd ever been in my whole livin' life. I remember congratulating myself on my non-sickly state one day as I drove to school, only to be rear-ended on the freeway. That night, I showed up for the performance with whiplash, and spent the next several hours walking around the stage like an attractively costumed robot. I couldn't turn my head without moving my whole body to follow it, but I did my best to incorporate the stiffness into my performance. I thought I'd done a pretty good job of it, too, until I found out a rep from one of the local newspapers had been in the audience, and the review came out the next day with this sentence:

"Emmelyn looks totally uncomfortable on stage."

At least it was an accurate assessment.

It's been several falls now since I've been in a play. The reasons for this are various, and could perhaps make up a blog entry of their own some day, or at least a sentence longer than the one above. However, I've just been cast once more, and I'm just getting over a case of the sniffles. I'm hoping that I've stored up some sort of good karma over these last few years that I haven't been in a show; these years of soul-searching and making tough-yet-for-the-best decisions, and that the cold and flu fairy will see fit to pass me by. But if not, I'm stocking up on Lemon Zinger and honey, and thanking my lately-quite-lucky stars that I get to participate in my favorite autumn pastime; that I get to do something I love to do at any time of year, but especially in the fall.

14 comments:

Annette Lyon said...

Hope you feel better soon--or stay healthy. Or something.

As a side note, I totally thought of your post about the girls who work in car dealerships.

A few weeks ago I was in one and about fell over laughing when I saw the 82-lb blonde sitting at the reception desk. She spent her time answering phone, adjusting her cute clothes (pulling down her short skirt), smoothing out her hair, and adding lip gloss to her pouty lips.

TnD said...

Hey Em, when does your play run? Maybe we will drive down for it.

Geo said...

I hope the running of your nose will be over and done before the run of your play. Best of luck! Wish I could see you doing your thing (acting, not sniffling).

Noelle said...

I feel San Diego in the air! It might be time to come see my friend do what she's brilliant at. And no getting sick. I do remember a particular fall play in Provo!
Wish we were there to wait up for you, ply you with tea and frozen veggie bags, and heal you with scary movies.

Emmie said...

Thanks, friends! And thanks for coming back to read my blog, even after my long absences . . .

T - I would LOVE it if you came down for the show! (I would love to see you, period. I think it's been 5 years since last we saw each other, which is just ridiculous.) The show runs from Nov. 28th - Dec. 28th. I could probably comp you in, so let me know! If I don't see you before the baby's born, I'm definitely driving up there after the show is over to see you and meet your 2 (2!) kids.

Noelle - I will never forget hearing those scratching noises on the bathroom door at 1am, followed by evil laughter from you and Megan. It was truly touching that you stayed up that late just to scare me out of my mind. :-) You all took such good care of me with those frozen veggie bags. That was such an awesome summer, roomie!

Stephen said...

Amy and I are looking forward to your play. Break a neck!

Jannah said...

Congrats on your return to fall performances, have you discovered Loquat syrup yet? It's a total voice saver!
I miss you in my neck of the woods!

thedoodlegirl said...

Oh how I loved your Lemon Zinger tea and honey on the nights of our fall performances! I remember being SO NERVOUS that I would lose my voice and you always had such a calming effect on me and helped my confidence. As did the Lemon Zinger. Thanks!

samiam said...

Okay, so you start out talking about being sick and then casually mention that you are in a PLAY!! That's wonderful. I want details--what play? what part? Dish, my friend!

Dianna said...

I'll say little prayers for a lovely, sniffle-free run! (If they would just dust on those theatres more often, I wonder...)

Liz in New York said...

Emmie, Trent and I LOVE you and wish wildly that you lived closer and I think all the time that if you did somehow live in NY again or if we made it to CA we would, of course, be best friends.

That said,...best of luck in the play we wish we were going to see, I hope you don't get sick, and please, can we see you again soon?

Katie said...

We lit a fire this weekend and I pretended I was in Utah smelling the crisp fall air. I'm sending you extra helpings of Karma. "No, sick Emmie, No sick Emmie!"

Lara said...

Hi Emmie....I sort of feel weird leaving this comment but here goes.

You don't know me, I saw the link to your blog somewhere, but I am a good friend of Thora's, and I married Joel Neves, so Matt and Ashley also talk about you often enough. PLUS, I've seen you in lots of plays, so I feel like I sort of know you. :) So when I saw this was your blog, I thought I'd say hi!

So, "hi." And congrats on being cast in a play, and I hope you feel better very soon. :)

Emmie said...

Hi Lara!

I feel terrible for taking so much time to respond to your comment! I'm delighted to meet you. I've visited your blog - your kids are beautiful! Please say hi to Matt, Ashley, and Joel for me, and I hope you'll stop by again!