Monday, December 07, 2009

12 Weeks, 3 Days

Upon returning from my fourth bathroom trip in less than an hour, I looked over to see my boss staring at me through her open doorway. She motioned me over, cocked her head to one side, and looked me up and down.

"Are you pregnant?" she asked in a mildly exasperated tone.

There was a pause as I pondered whether honesty was indeed the best policy.

"I am." I said.

"How long have you known?"

"About 12 hours."

***

Although the faint plus sign the previous evening was definitive proof, I'd had my suspicions for a little more than 12 hours. Strange things had been afoot for several days. New sensations, food aversions, the inability to spell three letter words correctly. And when a certified, bonafide, ratified night owl can't keep her eyes open past 8:30 in the eve, she figures something must be up. (Not her, though. 'Cause she's asleep.)

***

When I was about 8 weeks along, I had a little cramping which caused me some concern. (Alliteration is awesome.) So I called my OB's office, and a nurse called me back. We had a 10 minute conversation, during which I was unable to determine if the person I was speaking to was, in fact, male or female. Here what he/she said once I (calmly) explained my symptoms:

"Well, it sounds like you have an ectopic pregnancy, which could result in death if you don't go to the hospital."

"So you're saying mild cramps are the sign of an ectopic pregnancy?"

"Well, yes. And it could result in death if you don't go to the hospital. Do you understand?"

"I do. Could you possibly fit me in for an ultrasound today so I don't have to go to the hospital?"

"We don't have any room in our schedule today. So you'll need to go to the emergency room."

"I just want to make sure I'm clear on this. You're telling me I need to go to the emergency room for mild cramps?"

At this point there was a lot of sighing and putting me on hold and more sighing, which ultimately resulted in her very reluctantly agreeing to fit me in despite their "extremely busy" schedule.

***

When I showed up at the clinic an hour later, there was one person in the waiting room.

I signed in and sat down, leafing through a well-worn (and slightly sticky) parenting magazine until I heard my name being called.

"Emmelyn?"

A weary-looking nurse was standing in front of me, brandishing a vaginal ultrasound wand in her hand. In the waiting room. Perhaps she just wanted me to have an extra minute to process the upcoming procedure?

Approximately 15 minutes later, I'd seen my baby's tiny little heartbeat, cried tears of relief and awe, and was walking out through the (empty) waiting room with the precious pictures tucked safely in my purse.

***

"Steve!" I exclaimed, bursting through our apartment door. "Come and look at our baby!"

He pondered over the photos.

"Isn't it amazing?" I was still a little teary.

"Yeah. Wow."

And then,

"It kind of looks like a hamster."

***

Last night I had 1/2 a can of jumbo olives for dinner. Because that's what the hamster wanted.



14 comments:

Emily said...

Not only do I love it when you blog, but as it happens, I love it when you blog to say you're pregnant! What thrilling, fabulous news. Hooray!

Carolyn said...

I've been trying to cure by blog-reading habit by checking my Google Reader only once a day, just to see if some news has been posted about my sister-in-law who is recovering from a bone marrow transplant. And then I (try) to wait to read the rest of the blogs on the weekend. But when Google Reader showed "Downstage Left (1)" in bold letters this morning, my heart did that "padump" thing that it used to do in high school when I saw that one boy--reading Downstage Left is what started my blog-reading addiction back in the day. So I had to break my "only-on-the-weekend" rule; a post on Downstage Left is so rare these busy days that I deemed it to be a special occasion.

And, indeed it is. Congratulations to you and Steve! You'll be great parents. (I've never met Steve, but Blondie says it is uncanny how much he is like her husband, and Blondie's husband is a great Dad. So there you go.)

Meggen said...

YEAH, YEAH, YEAH, FOR EM & STEVE!!! I think this is the best news ever! And, I couldn't help but chuckle over your blog post! You have a gift, Em, a true gift! ;)

marymary said...

True story: Yesterday, I was thinking of you and yearning for you to have a baby. Hurray! Good tidings of great joy.

Your 1st trimester symptoms sound just like mine with my first pregnancy. I remember well the day when I ate nothing but olives because they were the only thing I could stand the thought of. And needing 10 hours of sleep at night and a 2 hour afternoon nap to get by.

Sounds like maybe you need to find a different care provider, though.

Bless that little hamster. (Peter concluded that ours looked "like an alien," but "hamster" is sweeter.)

marymary said...

I know I just commented, but I can't help myself:

HURRAY! HURRAY! HURRAY! YIPPEEEEEEEE!

Blondie said...

I had a similar experience with my first pregnancy (not the part about the ridiculous and borderline stupid nurse who didn't tell you that mild cramps are normal, but the part about pregnancy showing on your face).
The day after I found out I was pregnant I walked into the cafeteria at work, took one whiff and felt all color leave my face(but honestly elementary school cafeterias can make me nauseous regardless of my "condition"). One of the lunch ladies took one look at me and asked when my baby was due.

Oh and I'm positively thrilled for you. But you already knew that!

Geo said...

Well, how beautiful! Congratulations! I'm wishing you health and happiness and all the good olives your hamster can hold!

~j. said...

Emmie. All kinds of awesome. Congratulations!

Annette Lyon said...

I saw you in my Reader and thought, "Yay, Em's alive!"

And then this! Wooot! Em's gonna be a mommy!

You do whatever that darling little hamster needs you to do. And that includes olives.

AzĂșcar said...

I hope you try to work hampster into the child's name:
Hampsted F.

Hampersten F.

Hampsterino F.

Emmie said...

Thank you all SO MUCH, my lovely, lovely friends!

ATK said...

YAY!!! SO exciting!!! Congratulations!!

TnD said...

I can't wait to meet your little furry hamster!

Liz in New York said...

We are very excited at this house for two reasons A) a new post from Emmie always brings us laughter and joy and B) the topic of this post brings us much laughter and joy and excitement and happiness and all the rest. Do you realize that this means either our children will marry (if you have a boy) or they will be best friends (if you have a girl)? And this makes us very, very happy!

I could go on and on...let me just say this: the men+the ultrasound pictures=weirdness, every time. They don't seem to get the awesomeness. Trent thought our baby looked like an alien. I couldn't figure out why he didn't rejoice at the sight of our teeny tiny child. I've decided it's a guy thing and that next time he will not be invited to the ultrasounds.