Sunday, June 20, 2010

Vivi's Debut


Up until the day my doctor told me it wasn't advisable, I'd been planning on a natural childbirth. The stack of books on my nightstand bore witness to this resolution - I was even reading Birthing from Within, despite a) its title and b) its instruction to "ask your cervix to open like a flower of love."

But surgery became necessary for several reasons, and the procedure ended up being much more extensive and complicated than originally anticipated. Vivienne was born quickly and was perfectly healthy, but I lost a lot of blood during the two hours of surgery that followed, and the anesthesia started to wear off before they were finished. This prompted me to ask what the surgeons were doing at that moment, and I think I can safely say that "Well, they're putting your uterus back in" is a sentence I hope never to hear again in my lifetime. Especially when the anesthesia is wearing off.

But throughout the entire experience and my recovery, we have been blessed beyond measure. Skilled surgeons, the love and generosity of family and friends, the power of the priesthood, the comfort and guidance of the Spirit; we have been watched over and cared for in all the best ways. And the end result is this:



Which makes it so much more than worth it.

12 comments:

Annette Lyon said...

Oh, that smile!

It's so, so worth it.

And I'm trying to remind myself of the fact now that I have two teenagers, and one is a hormonal female.

(But yes, even then it's worth it. SO worth it.)

Congratulations--in spite of the freaky surgeon comment and blood loss (yowza!). Grateful you're okay.

Thayerclan said...

She is the sweetest thing! Love the pictures. Can't wait to meet you little Viv!

Katie said...

I love you little Viv! Your mommy truly is Wonder-Woman. So grateful you are here. An angel with the most adorable little smile in the world.

Meggen said...

Oh, how precious! I am so grateful that (despite the less than desirable birthing experience) she is here and healthy and beautiful! What a sweet blessing and treasure! Em, the 2 of you look heavenly! There's nothing better than a picture of a new mommy with her sweet baby! Love you both so much! ;o)

(I will now add even more exclamation points to show exactly how thrilled I am for you and Steve!) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;o)

Geo said...

I'm so glad you both got through it safely. I know it's so cliché to say so, but she really looks like an angel. What a piece of sweetness. Congratulations. How exquisite, how wonderful. Real women.

Geo said...

P.S. And what a beautiful name. I've been writing about a character named Vivi....

~j. said...

Beautiful!

I think my favorite part of the sentence about the cervix flower is the word "ask".

dalene said...

i may have said this already--but she's lovely. and so are you.

Dianna said...

These pictures are so amazing, Emmie! She's so beautiful.

It's so great to hear that you were in such good hands through all of this. With every birth story I read or hear, it comes home to me more and more that each birth is a miracle (or a culmination of many miracles!).

"Flower of love," hmm? I'm thinking more like the Little Shop of Horrors plant or something, except in reverse.

Or was that too graphic?

TnD said...

I've been waiting for this. The story. Now I realize that there is so much more to this story, I'll have to hear it first hand. I can't wait to come to SD and see Miss Viv and her mama first hand.

Emmie said...

Oh my lovely friends, thank you all for your sweet comments.

Emmie said...

~j - I agree. You certainly don't want to be demanding anything of your cervix. I think a polite request is the only way to go.